Thursday, January 13, 2011

Well it's been far too long since I've posted anything on this blog! So much has happened in between my last post and now, it is nearly impossible to catch up. I guess I am simply not disciplined enough to write on this once a week. Maybe this will change because I've made some changes in my life recently that may lead me to look to this blog more often as an outlet for my constantly humming brain. So here goes:

Since my last post, I graduated from Edinboro University of Pennsylvania with a BA in Humanities and Foreign Languages and a minor in History. I gave birth to my son, Nathan Alexander, on May 22, 2009 at 4:40 PM. He was 9lbs 14oz and 22in long. Shortly thereafter we made the move to Kentucky where my husband was stationed at Fort Campbell. Finally our family was together!! First time since we were married in 2007! Ah, the military life! Anyway, recovery from Nathan's birth was long and hard because his birth was complicated to say the least. But after many months of pain, I was finally sort of back to normal. Summer 2009 we went to PA for Sarah and Frank Olon's wedding, and also for Casey and Randy Brewer's wedding. It was a good summer full of baby memories and happiness. It was also a hard summer full of long workdays for Mike. Fall of 2009 was uncertain for a while. Mike was either going to be deployed early 2010, or get his request for branch transfer approved and finally go to Military Police Captains Career Course at Fort Leonard Wood, MO. Thankfully, it was the latter that ended up happening, so once again, we packed up our little household and moved to little St Robert, MO. Missouri was full of spiders and tornadoes, so I am thankful that it was only six months that we had to be there. It was also dreadfully hot and humid, although so were Kentucky and Tennessee. After a short six months, it was moving time again. This time, we really got crazy and requested Alaska. So, at the end of June, 2010, we packed up again and started our long journey north. And a long journey it was, but we finally arrived at Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson, AK on July 15th! We searched and searched for a house that was just right, and we were blessed to find just the right one in Wasilla, AK.

So here we are, new homeowners at the top of the world. It is beautiful up here, but it is very lonely because our families are so far away. Nathan has been growing wonderfully, and we are expecting another baby on July 8th! We are experiencing our first winter up here, and it is cold and dark. I am definitely looking forward to spring thaw, whenever that is supposed to arrive. So, my recent life change was that I finally got rid of facebook. I know, I know, how long will that last, right? It does make it a little harder when they don't actually delete your profile, so you can go back anytime if you want to, but I intend to be strong. So what is so bad about facebook you ask? Well, nothing really I guess, but I have been long considering getting rid of it for many reasons. On top of that list, I spend way too much time on there. I've also found that it is far too easy to take what people post on facebook the wrong way. When you aren't speaking to someone where you can hear their tone of voice, or when people put up status updates and you think...oooh are they referring to me? Bottom line is, I'm fed up with it. Those of you who know me should know me to be a very outspoken and opinionated person. I don't balk at sensitive topics or controversial issues. As a result, I've apparently posted some things that have offended some people. Let me first state that my intentions are rarely to offend, but generally to provoke some form of thought. You know, that thing our brain does that many of us spent years at college nourishing and exercising (often times by discussing controversial or sensitive issues, may I add). Not to sound like a heartless cog, but I don't know of anyone who has gotten through life without being offended at some point or another. Quite frankly, if my opinions or my choice of topics to discuss offend you, then don't listen to me! It's ok, I won't be offended. And if I am, I'll deal with it because I understand that not everyone agrees with me and that's OK with me! I would be bored if everyone agreed with me for goodness' sake! At any rate, if I have ever offended you on facebook, I am truly sorry, that was never my intention. And I mean no offense now, but perhaps you should work on getting a thicker skin ;) So will I miss facebook? Undoubtedly yes. I enjoyed it as a tool to help me keep in touch with people who I don't ordinarily call or see every day. I enjoyed reconnecting with old friends whom I haven't seen for years. But I also hope that this will force me to be more connected with the people who really matter in my life. I will be forced to call or write a letter instead of just post a brief comment on a page. Who knows, but I intend to try. Will I be gone from facebook forever? I don't know that either. Maybe after a break of sorts, I will return and continue being my old, offensive self. lol, oh my. To my own credit, I did tone down my status updates and article posts after I realized that some of my friends may be getting offended. For a while I posted nothing but non-controversial menu items for dinner, or stuff about the weather. I guess I got bored, hah. I know, I'm hopeless. Well, maybe some of my friends and family will stumble upon my blog and you can keep up with tidbits of my life that way. Or, you can always call me if you have my number :)

I know I keep saying it, but I do intend to blog more, especially now that I don't have facebook! I feel that this will be my place to turn to when I feel the need to say something or want to update you on life in Alaska. I guess that's all for now

No comments:

Post a Comment