Monday, February 07, 2011

I have this pet peeve that tends to annoy me more than I should probably allow it to do so.  So when a woman gets married, she usually takes her husband's last name, right?  Ok, that's fine, I did and I figure one or the other has to take the other's name or things get too darn confusing; like when people hyphenate names or keep their maiden name.  Too long, too confusing, annoying for posterity and their future spouses to have to deal with.  Anyway, so usually the wife takes the husband's last name.  So here is my issue: I took my husband's last name, but I kept my first name...so why do people still insist on the old fashioned form of address that looks like this

Mr. & Mrs. Michael Henriques

My name is not Mrs. Michael Henriques!  My name isn't Michael at all!  My husband doesn't own me, my identity does not meld into his, I am still a person all my own.  Yes we are One in some respects, but I still exist as Emily.  I guess it bothers me because it seems that since I've been married, more and more my identity (my name) is slipping into the darkness of non-acknowledgement (I've already given up my last name for goodness' sake).  Anyway, it's a pet peeve, and I probably shouldn't let it bother me, but it does.  No, I am not mad at you if you have addressed me in this way before, but here is my preference (I know it is longer to write and you probably don't care, but it makes more sense to me from a linguistic perspective):

Mr. & Mrs. Michael & Emily Henriques
or
Michael & Emily Henriques

I usually prefer the latter as it is much less formal and it doesn't make me feel old ;)  At any rate, I just felt like writing that down, so take it or leave it hahah.

No comments:

Post a Comment